Dean Holden is a Chartered Professional Coach, mentor, & presenter who believes in teaching life lessons through sport, while embracing a philosophy that “the game is the best teacher of the game.” He is interested in the common threads behind success, expertise & skill acquisition: the influence of a growth mindset (& grit) on performance; particularly in endurance & ultra endurance events.
- Coaching since 1986, including the Canadian National Team, Korean National Team & numerous professional athletes in the NHL, minor pros & Europe
- Aside from ice hockey, Dean focuses on Team Invasion Sports & cycling (mountain biking)
- Ed (Coaching) & National Coaching Institute Advanced Coaching Diploma, Hockey Canada High Performance 2 & National Coaching Certification Program Level 4/5
- Chartered Member (Coaches of Canada), Member (Coach Alberta)
- Develops Game Intelligence using Positive Coaching & Smart Transitional Games through his Sports Performance courses, Skill Academy teaching & private instruction
A published researcher & author in the area of Decision Training, he has been nominated for the “3M National Coach of the Year” award as well as receiving numerous local & regional “Coach of the Year” awards. A lifelong learner with a growth mindset, Dean is currently teaching Invasion Games, Coaching, Issues in Health & Sport courses in the Health & Physical Education Department at Mount Royal University.