About Sport IQ
- Coaching since 1986, including the Canadian National Team, Korean National Team & numerous professional athletes in the NHL, minor pros & Europe
- Aside from ice hockey, Dean focuses on Team Invasion Sports plus cycling (mountain biking)
- M.Ed (Coaching) & National Coaching Institute Advanced Coaching Diploma, Hockey Canada High Performance 2 & National Coaching Certification Program Level 4/5
- Chartered Member (Coaches of Canada), Member (Coach Alberta)
- Develops Game Intelligence using Positive Coaching & Smart Transitional Games through his Sports Performance courses, Skill Academy teaching & private instruction
A published researcher & author in the area of Decision Training, he has been nominated for the “3M National Coach of the Year” award as well as receiving numerous local & regional “Coach of the Year” awards. A lifelong learner with a growth mindset, Dean is currently teaching Invasion Games, Coaching, Issues in Health and Sport courses in the Health & Physical Education Department at Mount Royal University.
Dean has played & coached in Canada, the USA & Europe – twice coaching with the Canadian Men’s National Team – with thirty years of coaching experience (male & female athletes & teams) to date; thirteen at Junior A, Major Junior, University & International levels with the remainder in AA, AAA, Junior B & other age-group minor hockey rep & development programs.
He has spent twelve years working within various school divisions from grades 7 to 12, enhancing Game Intelligence in athletes through his Sports Performance & Skill Academy instruction, as well as providing professional development to various school districts. For the past six years, he has worked with his own children & other U10’s, to enhance their Physical Literacy & Fundamental Movement Skills.
A former student of a cast of notables including Dr. George Kingston (NHLCA), Dr. Joan Vickers (U of Calgary) & Dr. Stephen Norris (Hockey Canada / Saudia Arabia Olympic Development); plus working alongside successful coaches such as Dave King (Hockey Canada), Willie Desjardins (Hockey Canada), Tom Renney (Hockey Canada), Mike Johnston (Portland – WHL), Pierre Page (DEL/EBEL – Red Bull), Rob Cookson (Ottawa Senators – NHL), Al Tuer (Head Scout – Florida – NHL), Andy Murray (Western Michigan – NCAA), Glen Hanlon (Vancouver Giants – WHL), Tim Bothwell (University of Calgary Women’s Team) & Pat Quinn, Dean is continually striving to contribute research & applied knowledge to train student-athletes & to mentor future leaders, educators & coaches through the application of his unique curriculum & methodology.
Dean worked with the Korean Ice Hockey Association in 2014 to review their coach development & hockey programs as they prepare to host the 2018 Winter Olympics. He coached their National Women’s Team through the 2014 World Championships in Asiago, Italy, where they won a bronze medal – their best international result, at the highest level, ever! K.I.H.A. used his detailed 12-year plan to demonstrate to the International Ice Hockey Federation that Korea is serious about improving their hockey infrastructure such that if they follow the plan, in time, they will become a dominant force in Asian ice hockey!
Dean oversees the role of Research, Innovation, Development & Education within Cochrane Minor Soccer. This is a breakthrough position – a first of it’s kind for any minor sports club – & the club has been recognized nationally for its innovation! Dean’s knowledge of Sport Science (particularly around the LTAD, Physical Literacy, Fundamental Movement Skills & Curriculum Planning) will be combined with his Sport IQ methodology & then transmitted through the Technical Coaching Team to the athletes & parents. Plans are already in action to incorporate size / age / gender appropriate equipment (balls / nets / fields), rules of engagement, & proper spacial dimensions for training & games, along with the future incorporation of analytics & technology. Dean also fulfills the role of 1rst V.P. of the Bow River Bruins Hockey Association, where his portfolio includes Coach & Player Development.
Dean regularly consults with schools, associations, federations, clubs, teams, coaches & players to provide game sense training & leadership. Please contact him for further information to discuss how he can help you!
John Byron Castrillon
- Coaching since 1982, including McGill University & University of Calgary Women’s Hockey, Mount Royal College Men’s Hockey & all levels of professional hockey, including NHL, minor pro, European & several years at various Hockey Canada Skill Academies, including St. Jean Brebeuf
- Soccer positions including Calgary Storm Professional Soccer, Canadian Soccer Association U18 Girls High Performance Program (NTC – Prairies – for 8 years), Technical Director with Calgary Blizzard & Calgary West Soccer Club, Senior Youth Academy Coach with South West United, Head Coach AMSL Dinos Women’s Soccer (Indoor & Outdoor Provincial Champions), and Head Coach of numerous Select teams within CMSA & ASA
- National ‘B’ License from Canadian Soccer Association, full Level 2 NCCP certified coach, NCCP Master Course Instructor, National ‘A’ Candidate
- Instills Game Intelligence using Positive Coaching & Smart Transitional Games through his CPS Philosophy
A former semi-professional soccer player from Colombia, John is trilingual in English, French & Spanish & also teaches Salsa & Merengue. Acting on his desire to ‘give back’ to youth, John created “Soccer Dreams”: collecting sports equipment & shipping it to Colombia, Venezuela, Costa Rica, the Dominican Republic, Kenya, Guatemala, Salvador & Cuba. He also delivered player & coach development clinics in several of these countries.
Consistently recognized as an inspirational coach who teaches life skills through sport, one whom engages minds & stimulates technical excellence via ‘sports homework’, John received the Alberta Soccer Association ‘Coach of the Year’ Award in 2001 – the culmination of two years of training his U18 girls which resulted in a National Championship.
Cochrane Minor Soccer recruited John to take over as their Technical Director as of January 2015. CMS was attracted to John’s belief in the LTAD plan, his reputation of strongly advocating for positive/respectful coaching, as well as his ongoing pursuit of knowledge. John continually pursues the ‘Holy Grail of Coaching’ (how to teach without teaching) using unique “games to teach the game”, his CPS Coaching Philosophy & the “Matrix of Creativity” through his private coaching & CPS Sports business. An NCCP Master Learning Facilitator, CMS will be the benefactor by gaining required coaching certification in-house, as well as additional workshops for coaches & parents. As a life-long learner, John continues to be driven to seek additional ways to connect with the players & the game, develop independent & imaginative athletes & to enlighten coaches & parents along the process!
Please contact Sport IQ for individual player / team / association development, parent education seminars, coach mentorship, school academies / teacher Professional Development, association stewardship, presentation availability or international program evaluation & leadership!
Learn from our 86+ years of coaching experience!
How can we work with you to help you meet your objectives? Please contact us at:
(587) 229-9797 Dean
(403) 708-3782 John